Activate OHIO ID
Bobcat Depot (buy software & computers)
Catmail Info (e-mail)
Contact your Advisor
DARS: Learn More
Forms & Resources
Handbook, School of Nursing
READI: Online Assessment
School of Nursing
Student Services Office
CONTACT YOUR ADVISOR
Students are assigned an academic advisor at the start of their program. Your DARS report lists the name of your academic advisor. If you don't know who your advisor is, contact the School of Nursing (740.593.4494 or email@example.com).
advisor can help you create an educational plan to meet your academic, professional, and
personal goals. Your advisor also will assist you in preparing an appropriate schedule of
It is your responsibility to monitor your own progress toward meeting
graduation requirements. It is strongly recommended that you maintain regular contact with
your advisor throughout your program.
Your advisor will not be able to answer your questions about financial aid or billing, but other offices at Ohio University can help you. Visit the contact page for more information.
Guidelines for Academic Advising
The University Academic Advising Council has established the following guidelines for
A student can expect the advisor to:
- Establish and adhere to reasonable weekly office hours, be available for advising appointments,
and expand hours during registration periods.
- Be sensitive to the needs of a diversity of students.
- Understand the mechanics and deadlines of enrolling students, such as scheduling by telephone or the web, adding and dropping classes, closed class options, special enrollment forms, and contacts in the Office of the Registrar or the college office.
- Understand how to read a DARS checksheet and how to request DARS checksheets for exploring other majors and programs.
- Understand university grading policies including probation and academic suspension.
- Be familiar with the variety of university degree and program offerings, departmental and college
requirements as well as university-wide general education requirements (as explained in the Ohio University Undergraduate Catalog).
- Assist students in exploring course and program offerings and career choices.
- Know where to refer students with special needs or interests (e.g., Academic Advancement
Center, Career Services, International Student and Faculty Services, Office of Institutional Equity,
Student Financial Aid, Education Abroad, Ombudsman).
- Help students plan a course of study based on aptitudes, life goals, career interests, academic
performance, and the frequency and sequencing of course offerings.
- Help students continually reassess their course of study in light of changing goals and overall
- Share information about opportunities in their major and intended career field (e.g., internships,
practicums, volunteer, and service learning opportunities).
- Seek reassignment for an advisee if necessary.
An advisor has the right to expect a student to:
- Consult with the advisor at least once each semester.
- Make appointments for advising via phone, e-mail, or office hour sign-up sheets during mutually
agreed-upon advising times.
- Keep appointments promptly.
- If unable to make a scheduled appointment, notify the advisor in advance.
- Discuss academic and career-related needs and seek additional help from appropriate sources
as suggested by the advisor.
- Be prepared for the advising appointment by bringing appropriate materials and written questions
and by having reviewed the DARS, checked catalog requirements, consulted the schedule book
for the current semester, and prepared a tentative schedule.
- Seek assistance in decision making rather than expect the advisor to make decisions.
- Follow through with appropriate action after each advising session and consult with the advisor if
critical decisions cannot be accomplished.
- Evaluate advising sessions and give formal and informal feedback to the advisor.
- Seek reassignment to another advisor if necessary.
- Be aware of departmental major, college, and university-wide general education requirements.
- Understand how to read and use a DARS checksheet.